04 Jul What Is VPN Configuration?
Every day, most of us spend the day on the internet to complete some of our daily tasks, such as keeping track of appointments, corresponding to emails and messages for work and school, and sharing and downloading photos, videos, and songs. Online transactions are also inevitable nowadays – from transferring and receiving funds through our bank accounts to purchasing goods and services, the internet has truly made our lives extremely convenient.
To prevent being a victim of fraudulent activities such as hacking, scamming, and theft, iPhone and iPad users can download and use a virtual private network, or commonly known as VPN. VPN services protect all the data sent and received by your device through an encrypted tunnel so hackers are not able to intercept it, ensuring the safety of your sensitive information such a bank account details and passwords.
To understand what is VPN configuration and how to properly configure a VPN on your device, we have enumerated the steps below on different devices.
After downloading a VPN mobile app and signing up for a subscription, you will need to configure it to work. Most VPN services allow you to connect up to 3 devices simultaneously with just one account.
After downloading the VPN mobile app from the App Store or Google Ply Store, open the app and log in to your account. Most VPN mobile apps are easy to use and will run smoothly without any trouble.
However, there also VPN services that do not offer mobile apps for iOS users. This is when you will need to manually configure it yourself. Don’t worry, you can set it up on your iPhone and iPad in your device’s built-in VPN settings in less than 10 minutes. You can also manually configure the VPN on your laptop or computer as well.
How to Configure a VPN on iOS
- Open the ‘Settings’ on your device.
- Go to ‘General’.
- Near the bottom of the categories, tap ‘VPN’.
- Choose ‘Add VPN Configuration’.
- In the ‘Type’ option, check the type of protocol that you wish to use: IKEv2, L2TP, or IPsec.
- Fill in the details in the following sections: Description, Server, Remote ID, and Local ID. Your iOS VPN service will provide you these details.
- In the ‘User Authentication’ section, select the type of authentication that you will use: either Username or Certificate. For the Certificate authentication, you will have to import the files before setting up the iOS VPN. Files that are formatted in .cer, .crt, .der, .p12, and .pfx are supported by iOS devices.
- Once you have finished setting up the iOS VPN, the VPN settings will have a ‘Status’ section that you can toggle on and off whenever you want to connect. If the iOS VPN is running, a VPN icon will appear on the status bar of your phone.
- You can also add multiple iOS VPN services by repeating the same steps.
How to Configure a VPN on Android
- Open the ‘Settings’ application, then select ‘More’ under the ‘Wireless and Networks’ panel.
- Select the ‘VPN’ option from the list.
- Tap the + button and fill out the necessary details in the fields provided. This includes the name of the VPN network, the type, and the server address. Tap ‘Save’ once you are done.
- To connect to the VPN, simply tap it enter your login information.
How to Configure A VPN On Windows
- In the Search button, open ‘Network and Sharing Center’ by typing it in the box and selecting it.
- Select ‘Set up a new connection or network’, click ‘Connect to a workplace’, then click Next.
- Choose the ‘Use my Internet connection (VPN)’ option.
- Enter the information in the information asked in the ‘Internet address’ and ‘Destination name’ boxes. Click Next when you are done.
- If you want to be asked for your login details every time you connect to your VPN, leave the login fields blank. Otherwise, fill in the login information if you want the VPN to automatically start the next time you connect, then click ‘Create’.
- To connect to the VPN, search for ‘Network Settings’, then choose the VPN option.
How to Configure a VPN on Mac OSX
Click the Apple menu and select System Preferences. Open the Network section.
- In the Apple menu, click ‘System Preferences’, then open the ‘Network’ option.
- From the + button on the left panel, select ‘VPN’ from the ‘Interface’ option.
- Select the type of VPN that you want to connect to, which is already provided to you upon subscription.
- In the ‘Service Name’ space, choose a name for your VPN service, then click ‘Create’.
- Click ‘Connect’ to activate your VPN.
- To show the status of your VPN connection, click the ‘Show VPN status in the menu bar’ box to display the VPN icon every time you connect.