13 Feb How to Monitor Your VPN Connection Using VPN Watcher
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology that creates a secure connection over a public network such as the internet. Using a VPN provides the users a secure private connection even if they’re not in the same local area network (LAN). It also connects multiple computers to gain access to resources even if they are in remote areas.
VPNs ensure your privacy by hiding all your internet activities from your internet service provider and lets you evade censorship by your school, work, internet service provider, or the government – anything that prohibits you from visiting websites. It also bypasses geo-restrictions and lets you use public Wi-Fi hotspots securely. Using a VPN has many advantages in terms of privacy and resource access. This is why many VPN services are out in the market today which promises to provide you with safe and secure internet experience.
What Is VPN Watcher?
VPN Watcher is a connection monitoring tool from Estonian company UGD Soft. This program works by preventing any incoming and outgoing traffic from entering the network while the VPN connection is down. It shuts down any running program that you have configured as soon as it detects a loss in your connection, since it checks every 500 millisecond. VPN Watcher is compatible with operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS.
VPN Watcher can also monitor any local network connection. There is a free version of the VPN Watcher program, but the full version suspends controlled applications instead of closing and enables you to run them with command line arguments. This is useful for popular applications like Torrent, Poker, Trader, Remote Desktop, online games, and many others that should always be protected.
How VPN Watcher Works With A VPN
When using a VPN, all the data travels between your computer and the VPN server – which means your internet service provider is unable to see it. All your data goes through an encrypted connection called a ‘VPN tunnel’. Anyone can intercept your data, but they won’t be able to read it because it’s encrypted. A VPN masks your IP address by using its own including the country you are located in. This means that if the VPN server you are using is located in a different country from yours, you will appear to be accessing the internet in that country. If anyone tries to monitor your activity, they will only trace it back to the VPN server.
However, if the VPN service or the internet connection disconnects abruptly, you can become unprotected and be easily vulnerable to predators. This is where connection monitoring tools such as the VPN Watcher is needed.
How to Install VPN Watcher for Windows
- Download the program VPN Watcher at the UGD Soft website. Install it and run, then select the ‘Tap-Win32’ adaptor installed by OpenVPN. This adaptor can be found by going to the Control Panel, then to Network and Internet, and then to Network Connections.
- To add a program that you want VPN Watcher to monitor (shutting down on disconnect and running on re-connect), right-click anywhere in the ‘Applications’ area, then select ‘Add application’, and navigate to the desired program. The free version of VPN Watcher only allows you to add one program.
- It is also easy to setup the PPTP and L2TP/IPsec. VPN Watcher comes with easy setup pre-sets for HideMyAss, ibVPN, PureVPN, and StrongVPN.
How to Monitor Poker Software
UGD Soft also shows us how to use VPN Watcher to monitor online games, with Party Poker as an example:
- Many online gaming applications cannot be controlled by VPN Watcher by just adding them to controlled applications list, so additional parameters should be specified if this is the case.
- Add gaming program to VPN Watcher controlled applications as usual, then add new controlled application.
- In the opened dialog window, navigate to gaming application installation folder and specify its executable file.
- Right click the gaming program shortcut on your desktop and choose ‘Properties’. In ‘Target’ field you should see additional parameters that should be passed to the application executable. They are all characters that follow application executable name. These parameters should be specified in VPN Watcher.
- Open ‘Parameters’ for the controlled application in VPN Watcher. Type the obtained parameters into ‘Command line arguments’ field.
- After executing, VPN Watcher should be able to control your gaming application properly.
How to Suspend Controlled Application with VPN Watcher
- Add a program to the controlled applications list by right clicking the controlled program and choosing ‘Parameters’.
- In the dialog box, check the ‘Suspend’ option.
- Now VPN Watcher will try to suspend this application each time your VPN connection goes down. If this program doesn’t support the ‘suspended’ mode, it will be stopped.